Headlines in copywriting are so important that I could write an entire book about them. Headlines are used almost anywhere in your sales campaign, from landing pages to emails, blog posts, and especially sales letters. If you don’t optimize your headlines, you will leave tons of money on the table. Here are some instant tips for improving your headline copy:
- Use either red or black fonts. Marketers have tested and proven successful that this works. You can even design your own neat headline banners, but remember to give them that “headline” feel.
- Open and close with curly, or smart quotes. What this means is that the each quotation mark is curved toward, or around, the text you quoting. Quotation marks will look different depending on the font you use.
- Spark curiosity so that they will continue reading. Failing to catch your reader’s attention within the first 5 seconds of visiting your page is considered a failure.
- Use powerful words that tie together with words related to your niche. For example, if you were in the make-money-online business you would use words like “Financial freedom” and “rat race” because these words are what people in this niche are generally interested in.
- Choose a good font. Some big flashy fonts that make great headlines include Impact, Arial Black, ChunkFive, and BorisBlackBoxx, to name a few.
In short, the goal of the headline is not to sell immediately, but to stir up the emotions of your readers. It can spark emotions such as curiosity, greed, joy, fear, lust, and even confusion. Target your headline and get your readers to continue reading.
Most importantly, do not forget to test and tweak your headlines for maximal conversions, or you will be putting lots of money on the line.