Headlines in copywriting are so important that I could write an entire book about them. Headlines are used almost anywhere in your sales campaign, from landing pages to emails, blog posts, and especially sales letters. If you don’t optimize your headlines, you will leave tons of money on the table. Here are some instant tips for improving your headline copy:
- Use either red or black fonts. Marketers have tested and proven successful that this works. You can even design your own neat headline banners, but remember to give them that “headline” feel.
- Open and close with curly, or smart quotes. What this means is that the each quotation mark is curved toward, or around, the text you quoting. Quotation marks will look different depending on the font you use.
- Spark curiosity so that they will continue reading. Failing to catch your reader’s attention within the first 5 seconds of visiting your page is considered a failure.
- Use powerful words that tie together with words related to your niche. For example, if you were in the make-money-online business you would use words like “Financial freedom” and “rat race” because these words are what people in this niche are generally interested in.
- Choose a good font. Some big flashy fonts that make great headlines include Impact, Arial Black, ChunkFive, and BorisBlackBoxx, to name a few.
In short, the goal of the headline is not to sell immediately, but to stir up the emotions of your readers. It can spark emotions such as curiosity, greed, joy, fear, lust, and even confusion. Target your headline and get your readers to continue reading.
Most importantly, do not forget to test and tweak your headlines for maximal conversions, or you will be putting lots of money on the line.
Copywriting is an essential skill of any online marketer; and, as a writer, blogger, and author, you are your own marketer. Your ability to write good copy can make or break your business. When used correctly, can increase your conversions and bring your massive profits. However, if you commit these common mistakes, you will sabotage your business.
Here are 5 mistakes you should avoid:
- Not Addressing Your Audience. Remember, the person reading your copy is a human being. Hence, treat your audience with respect and talk to them as though you would be talking to a friend on the phone. Always start your message with a “Hi friend” or simple greeting to let them know that there is a human connection.
- Selling Too Hard, Too Fast. How would you like it if you started your copy with, “Don’t buy this and you ears will fall off!”? Instead, try starting your copy by trying to relate with your audience’s problems and perhaps talk a little about yourself before going into the benefits of the product. Remember, in the long run the soft sell always wins.
- Screaming Into Their Face. Talking about some crappy headlines, one that comes to mind is the headline with EVERY SINGLE LETTER IN CAPS. This is not just bold, it’s literally screaming in their face and nobody likes that. Instead, only use capitals for the first letter of each word.
- Using Long (Spammy-Looking) Affiliate Links in Your Email Copy. Nobody trusts weird-looking links, your best bet would be to use a link cloaker (try http://www.acloaker.com/ for free) or a link shortening service such as Tinyurl.com or bit.ly.
- Talking Like a Robot. Nobody likes to listen to a machine. Instead, use a casual, conversational tone when dealing with your customers.
In short, avoid these mistakes and you’ll be on the right path to copywriting success.